Brent D. Barringer
Brent earned his Juris Doctor degree from the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Law in 1984 and a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with Highest Honors from the UNC-Chapel Hill Kenan-Flagler Business School in 1981.
As founding partner of Barringer Sasser, Brent has more than 38 years of experience representing businesses, entrepreneurs, and investors in corporate and commercial transactional projects ranging in size from $100,000 to more than $100 million. With many of these transactions focused on commercial real estate and the assemblage of property for residential development, he has extensive knowledge of business and real estate finance and corporate governance.
Brent serves on the advisory board of Towne Bank, and prior to its merger with Raleigh-based Paragon Bank served on Paragon’s board of directors. He also served as a founding director of Cary-based Crescent Financial Corporation and Crescent State Bank, and after its merger with VantageSouth Bank, continued to serve on the VantageSouth board.
Brent has extensive public-sector experience as well. He served on the University of North Carolina System Board of Governors from 2003-2012, as past chair of the Cary Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, as the Town of Cary’s representative on the Wake County Economic Development Commission, as a past board member of the North Carolina Housing Finance Agency, and as visiting lecturer in business law at UNC’s Kenan-Flagler Business School. He served on the Centennial Authority of the PNC Arena from 1995 until 2021.
Prior to founding the original Barringer Law Firm in 1986, Brent served as law clerk to Senior United States District Court Judge Eugene A. Gordon (Middle District of North Carolina) in 1984 and 1985.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Transactional Law
- Real Estate Law
- Business Law
- B.S., 1981, University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
- J.D., 1984 University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
- North Carolina Law Review
- Member, University of North Carolina Board of Governors (2003-2012)
- Appointed by NC House of Representatives 2003 & 2007
- Appointed Vice-Chair of Educational Planning Committee (2011-2012)
- Appointed Co-Chair of 2010 Presidential Search Selection/Screening Committee
- Elected Chair of Public Affairs Committee (2007-2008)
- Appointed Chair of 2006 University Award Committee
- Served on Personnel & Tenure Committee (2003-2006)
- Budget & Finance Committee 2006 thru 2008, and Education Planning and Audit Committees (2008-2011)
- Appointed by Chair to Special Teaching Task Force (2003-2004)
- Special Nursing Task Force (2004-2007)
- Special Tuition Task Force (2004-2006)
- Campus Security Task Force (2007)
- Member, Centennial Authority of the Arena (1995-2021)
- Appointed by Speaker of N.C. House of Representatives (1995-2001) and then by Wake County Commissioners (2002-2013)
- Served as Chair of Long-Range Planning Committee & on all major committees
- Elected Vice-Chair in December, 2011 for two year term
- Member, Bank and Holding Company Board of Directors, Crescent Financial Bancshares/Vantage South Bank, community bank started in Cary in December, 1998 now with over 25 branch offices across Piedmont and Eastern North Carolina (NASDAQ symbol: CRFN)
- Cary Chamber of Commerce, Chairman of Board of Directors (1995-1996)
- Licensed Foster Parent, Methodist Home for Children, 1994-2004
- Member, N. C. Housing Finance Agency Board of Directors (Appointed by N.C. House of Representatives and served from December, 2001 thru May, 2003—required by law to resign to join UNC Board of Governors)
- Wake County Economic Development Commission, Cary’s Representative (1995-2000)
- Cary Rotary Club, Member since 1991. Chair, Charter Board of Directors, Crimestoppers of Cary (1992-1994)
- Visiting Lecturer, Business Law, UNC-Chapel Hill Kenan-Flagler School of Business Administration, Spring 1987